I hope you enjoy this list of books I enjoyed reading this year. What are your Top 10?
MY TOP 10 READS OF 2016.
1. Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly by Phillip Norman – One of the best Buddy Holly biographies I’ve read in a while.
2. 11.22.63 by Stephen King – An English teacher from Maine goes back in time to try and prevent the assassination of JFK in 1963, but at a cost to history, and to himself.
3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee – A brilliant American novel about racial inequality in 1930s Maycomb, Alabama.
4.If This Is A Woman: Inside Ravensbruck Hitler’s Concentration Camp For Women by Sarah Helm A fascinating and thought provoking book about the concentration camp, Ravensbruck, and the horrific existences endured by the prisoners there.
5. The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton – Petronella arrives at the Brandt household and is given a replica of her house by her husband in 17th century Amsterdam. The Brandt household is full of secrets.
6. Ross Poldark by Winston Graham – First book in the Poldark saga. Read this because I watched the BBC adaptation and fell in love with it. Very vividly written, I highly recommend it.
7. The Tea Planters Wife by Dinah Jefferies – A young woman and her tea-planter husband live in Ceylon but what secrets are they keeping from each other? A soppy but good book. Well worth reading.
8. Travelling to Infinity by Jane Hawking – Written by Stephen Hawking’s ex- wife, this book is all about their marriage and is the basis for the film A Theory of Everything.
9. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante – Two girls growing up in a poverty-stricken village in 1950s Italy experience the bonds of friendship as well as the ups and downs of life. A slow read but well worth it. The first book in the Neapolitan Novels series.
10. Battle Royale by Koushun Takami – A class of 50 students must fight each other to the death until there is only one winner. Brilliant Japanese novel. There’s a manga of it as well.
So that is my Top 10. What books have you been enjoying this year? Let me know in the comments xxx